Tuesday, September 04, 2007

New Job

Well, I'm still waiting for my student, so I thought I would post again about the latest in our lives. Besides my shift from full-time employment to part-time, Adam's job has changed quite a bit in the last month as well. My husband is a music pastor, and his title is "Associate Minister/Pastor of Music," which means he works alongside our head music minister, Dick, and also leads the youth choirs/worship at our church. Since our church membership averages around 10,000, his work load has been pretty full for the last 3 years. In June we had a bit of a surprise. Dick's wife, Dot, has been sick for many years, and her health has unfortunately continued to decline. In light of needing to be there for his wife, Dick announced that he would be leaving our church for a 6 month sabbatical. Adam would take over most of Dick's responsibilities in his absence, effective August 1st. We were extremely overwhelmed at first; so grateful that Dick was doing the right thing to take care of his precious wife, but SO sad that we would lose our incredible leader for a while. Dick has been more than a boss to Adam; he and Dot have truly been like family to us for the last 3 years. We came here because Adam was so excited to be mentored by such a joyful, godly man, and have treasured every minute! Since Dick left, Adam has been leading the main worship every Sunday, directing the adult choir, sitting in on senior staff meetings, and also maintaining all his previous responsibilities as an associate. It has been a crazy ride, and we are still adjusting to the new demands, but thankful that we are here for this time. I am humbled when I see how God prepared us for this...6 months ago we began to pray about whether or not I should return to teach at school, and both of us lacked a peace about it. I was terribly sad at the thought of quitting my job, but it just seemed like the right thing to do. Wow, are we thankful that was the decision we made! I am so glad I can be flexible with Adam's schedule and be an available wife to him right now. I am still teaching, but I am able to be free on his days off and determine my own schedule. He can work nights or weekends if he has to in order to make it through this time, and I can help him through it. God prepared us to face the next 6 months together. Thank you, Lord! I'll try to post some pics sometime of Adam leading our choir or something, just to give a glimpse into where we are the majority of the time! Give me a couple of Sundays and then I'll post them...

1 comment:

Kim and Eric said...

Adam is such a great worship leader and we love the energy and passion he has as he leads us in the worship experience each Sunday.